Looking into the past

Maple Lake became an official settlement in 1855, bringing settlers from all over to live in the wild back country that once was, and still is, Wright County, Minnesota. The Messenger received these photos, which were postcards at one point, and thought they were worth sharing. The above left and above right photos are from Donnelly Drive in Maple Lake, right off the shores of Maple Lake itself. Another historic landmark in Maple Lake was the creamery building. This building was built around 1912 and had only three workers or less. The cream, milk and butter were refrigerated in the early years by blocks of ice which was delivered to Maple Lake regularly. In the year of its fiftieth anniversary, the creamery had over $2,000,000 in sales.
(Photos and postcards submitted by John Haack)

Rate this article: 
No votes yet
Comment Here