Maple Lake Library’s archival corner


Above is a picture of the blacksmith shop in 1919. Charles is the second from the left. (Photo submitted)

Above: Dee Lynch presented the library archive with her grandfather’s ledger. (Photo submitted)

Dee Lynch had not visited Maple Lake since 1990. She came back to Maple Lake in October and September in 2017 searching for more information about her grandparents. She had lived with her grandparents in Maple Lake for two years when she was just a toddler.
Dee’s grandparents were Charles and Emma (Kloss) Mathan. They had a presence in Maple Lake for over 48 years. Charles was a blacksmith by trade. According to Don Kloss, he was the last operating blacksmith in Maple Lake. Their residence and blacksmith shop was located at 118 1st Street E which is currently owned by John Haack. While Haack had added on to both the house and shop, the original structures are still standing on this site.
Charlie Mathan was the son of Karl and Gottliebe (Lemke) Mathan and grew up in Middleville Township. Emma Kloss was the daughter of Herman and Caroline (Diesing) Kloss and grew up in Maple Lake. They were married on June 25, 1903, and made their home in Maple Lake. They were blessed with seven children: Herbert, Gladys. Arietta, Vernon, Adeline, Marguerite, and Violet. Violet was Dee Lynch’s mother.

If you would like to read more, subscribe to the Maple Lake Messenger today!

Rate this article: 
No votes yet
Comment Here