MONDAY, AUGUST 14, 2017 INDEPENDENT SCHOOL
MAPLE LAKE, MN
Members Present: Joe Paumen, Shelly Liljequist, Shelley McAlpine, Joe Mavencamp, Bill Neumann, Chris Paumen, and Richard Thomas
Others Present: Mark Redemske, David Hansen, Andy Sawatzke, Kristi Anderson, Tanya Malwitz, Eric Meyer and Katie Freidman.
1. Call meeting to order 7:00 p.m.
2. Pledge of Allegiance
3. Recognition of visitors- Jenny Fritz
4. M/S Mavencamp/Thomas – Approve the Agenda for the regular school board meeting held on Monday, August 14, 2017. Motion carries 7-0.
5. M/S Mavencamp/McAlpine – Approve the Consent Agenda for the regular school board meeting held on Monday, August 14, 2017. Motion carries 7-0.
6. Unfinished Business
A. M/S Paumen, C./Liljequist – Motion to approve policies 534 (replaces 598), 602, 603, 604, 612.1, 613, 614, 615, 616, 618 and 619. Motion carries 7-0.
B. M/S McAlpine/Paumen – Motion to approve a resolution relating to increasing the general education revenue of the school district, authorizing the issuance of general obligation bonds, and calling an election thereon. Roll call Paumen-yes, Mavencamp-yes, Thomas-yes, Liljequist-yes, Neumann-yes, Paumen J.-yes, McAlpine-yes. Motion carries 7-0.
C. M/S Liljequist/McAlpine – Motion to approve previously unfilled fall coaching assignments. Motion carries 7-0.
7. New Business
A. Annual report on fundraising per Policy 511
B. Preview of the 2017 Opening Workshop
C. M/S Thomas/Paumen – Motion to approve the 6th grade field trip to Wolf Ridge on May 16-18, 2018. Motion carries 7-0.
D. M/S Paumen, C./McAlpine – Motion to award a three year snow removal contract, beginning in the 2017-2018 school year to Rainmaster Lawn Systems. Motion carries 7-0.
E. The Maple Lake Lions have offered to place a sign on school grounds listing appearances of Irish athletic teams in state tournaments. The board tabled this item until they can see a drawing of the project.
8. Representative Reports
A. Meeker and Wright Special Education Cooperative: Thomas reported several of the teaching positions have been filled, but several positions remain open.
B. Minnesota High School League: Paumen reported the MSHSL Board met on August 8, 2017. Items on the agenda included seeking approval from the National Federation of State High School Associations to use instant replay on an experimental basis during the football state tournament semifinals and Prep Bowl finals and three recommendations to QRF adjustments regarding forfeits, tiebreakers and minimum number of games.
C. Elementary School: Sawatzke reported his special education opening has been filled, the speech position has not; applications are being accepted with the possibility of hiring a service. The Math Corp position is still open. Classroom letters were mailed on Friday and administration is keeping an eye on class sizes.
D. High School: Hansen reported MCA testing generally looked good. A few areas concerns in the high school will be looked at further. Schedules were emailed out on Friday, fall sports practices started today, 7th grade orientation is set for August 29 at 5:15, Open House is August 30 and MCA opt out information was added to the student handbook.
9. Set Meeting Dates: Building and Grounds Committee August 29, 2017 at 5:00 p.m.
10. Other Business
A. Thank-You Notes
B. Upcoming Meetings:
1. MAWSECO Board Meeting at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 in Howard Lake
2. DLT Meeting at 9:45 a.m. on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 in the Board Room 3. Wright Tech Center Board Meeting at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, September 5, 2017 in Buffalo
4. Regular School Board Meeting in September at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, September 11, 2017 in the Board Room
5. DLT Meeting at 7:00 a.m. on Wednesday, September 19, 2017 in the Board Room
6. Schools for Equity in Education Meeting at 9:30 a.m. on Friday, September 22, 2017 in Minneapolis
7. MAWSECO Board Meeting at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 in Howard Lake 8.W right Tech Center Board Meeting at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, October 3, 2017 in Buffalo
9. Regular School Board Meeting in October at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 in the Board Room
C. Miscellaneous Information:
1. Chamber of Commerce Meeting at 12:00 p.m. on Wednesday, September 6, 2017
11. M/S Thomas/Mavencamp – Motion to close the meeting to discuss contract negotiations. Motion carries 7-0.
12. M/S McAlpine/Thomas – Motion to reopen the meeting at 9:14 p.m. Motion carries 7-0.
13. M/S McAlpine/Thomas – Motion to adjourn at 9:14 p.m. Motion carries 7-0.