Wright-Hennepin Cooperative Electric Association (WH) members who participate in Operation Round Up (ORU) donated grants totaling $55,500 in March.
ORU participants allow their electric bills to be rounded up to the nearest dollar. The rounded amount is then used for donations to fund local programs. More than 80 percent of WH’s members participate in the ORU program. ORU’s board manages the generated money, which is held in a trust fund. Through a selection process and review of guidelines, the board evaluates funding requests on a bimonthly basis.
The ORU trust board awarded the following donations on behalf of WH members in March 2018:
• $2,500, Alzheimer Association MN-ND, funds to support Alzheimer Association programs.
• $33,000, Area Food Shelf Donation
• $3,000, Central MN Mental Health Center, funds to support programs which maintain low costs for clients, and for reduced transportation cost.
• $6,000, Can Do Canines, funds to support assistance dogs.
• $500, Monticello Graduation Party, funds to support a drug and alcohol free all-night party.
• $5,000, Pay It Forward Fund, funds for breast cancer victims to pay for utilities, housing, medical, transportation, phone and/or food.
• $700, Rockford Area Historical Society, funds to purchase a new computer and software for digitization of collections.
• $2,500, SOAR Regional Arts, funds to support the production of the Steel Magnolias performance.
• $2,500, TreeHouse Inc., funds to support the cost of one van for three months of the year.
To read the entire article, subscribe to The Maple Lake Messenger today!