MONDAY, JUNE 11, 2018
INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT #881
MAPLE LAKE, MN MINUTES
Board Members Present: Joe Paumen, Shelly Liljequist, Bill Neumann, Richard Thomas, Joe Mavencamp, and Chris Paumen Board Members Absent: Shelley McAlpine Others Present: Mark Redemske, David Hansen, Andy Sawatzke, Eric Meyer, Maureen Donohue and Katie Friedman
1. Meeting called to order at 7:00 p.m.
2. Pledge of Allegiance
3. “District #881 is Proud of” A. Girls track and field team for winning the True Team State Championship 1. Track and field athletes who qualified for the MSHSL State Track and Field Meet • Section 5A runner-up in the discus throw and placed 8th at State- Catie Fobbe • Section 5A third place in the triple jump and placed 2nd at State – Maggie Larson • Section 5A runner-up in the 3200 meter run with a new school record – Mike Miller • Section 5A runner-up in the 100 meter hurdles with a new school record and runner-up in the 300 meter hurdles and placed 3rd at State – Gracie Elsenpeter • Section 5A Champion 4 X 800 meter relay – Ava Mergen, Grace Heying, Ella Kiebel, Sophie Pribyl, Mary Miller (alternate), Kylie Edmonson (alternate) B.The softball team for winning the Section 5A championship and winning the MSHSL State Tournament championship C.Clay target team and coaches on qualifying for Nationals Tournament in Mason, Michigan July 12- 15 D. Staff recognitions: • Elementary School Staff Member of the Year: Kelly Siebert • High School Staff Member of the Year: Ben Youngs • Leaders in Educational Excellence: Chad Hammerschmidt, Nancy Kopff, Mary Beth Barder and Debbie Stang • Educational Support Staff: Kim Grunau, Rachel Dale, Jane Hudek E. Coaching recognitions: • Class AA Volleyball Coach of the Year by the MVCA: Marty Kiebel • MaxPreps.com Medium Sized Schools National Coach of the Year: Marty Kiebel • Class AA Assistant Volleyball Coach of the Year by the MVCA: Amy Voigt • CMC Assistant Coach of the Year: Amy Voigt • CMC Head Boys Coach of the Year: Tim Staloch •300th Career Win in Boys Basketball: Tim Staloch • CMC Head Girls Coach of the Year: Adam Ronnenberg • Section 4A Speech Coach of the Year: Eric Meyer •300th Career Win in Softball: Tim Knudsen .The baseball team for winning the Section 5A championship and qualifying for the MSHSL State Tournament
4.Recognition of visitors: Jeff Kubian, Brenda Erdahl and Amy Voigt
5.M/S C. Paumen/Mavencamp Approve the Agenda for the regular school board meeting held on Monday, June 11, 2018. Motion carries 6-0
6.M/S Thomas/Liljequist Motion to approve the Consent Agenda for the regular school board meeting held on Monday, June 11, 2018. Motion carries 6-0
7. Open Forum-None
8. Unfinished Business A.Information on our Q Comp program was presented by Q Comp Advisor Jeff Kubian. Teachers were surveyed, and feedback will be used to make some minor changes to evaluations and PLCs next year. B.Information on the Alternative Delivery of Specialized Instructional Services (ADSIS) Program was presented by Amy Voigt. Voigt reported that 74 K-12 students were served this past year with 9 graduating from the program. Voigt is trying to get funding for more ADSIS staffing in the high school since the number of students being served in grades 7-12 has grown. C.M/S Liljequist/Thomas Motion to approve an ad in the 2018- 2019 Community Guide at a cost of $662.50 for full page color ad. Motion carries 6-0 D.M/S C. Paumen/Thomas Motion to approve a resolution for membership in the Minnesota State High School League for 2018-2019. Roll call-all yes. Motion carries 6-0 E.M/S Mavencamp/Liljequist Motion to approve renewing the district’s property/ casualty insurance through the Minnesota Insurance Scholastic Trust (MIST) for the 2018-2019 school year at a cost of $42,511.31. Motion carries 6-0 F.M/S C. Paumen/Neumann Motion to approve renewing the district’s workers comp insurance through Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. for the 2018-2019 school year at $43,007.00 Motion carries 6-0 G. Review of the May 31, 2018 enrollment figures show a year end with enrollment of 836.6. H. All probationary licensed staff evaluations have been completed. I .M/S J. Paumen/Mavencamp Motion to approve a Memorandum of Understanding between ISD #881and the Maple Lake Federation of Teachers to use staff development funding to help teachers become credentialed to teach concurrent classes, driver education, etc. allowing Maple Lake High School students to complete college level coursework at MLHS. Motion carries 6-0 J. M/S C. Paumen/Liljequist Motion to renew our environmental/ occupational health and safety contract with Resource Training and Solutions for the 2018-2019 school year at a cost of $13,790.34. Motion carries 6-0 K. M/S Neumann/C. Paumen Motion to approve the Lead in Drinking Water Plan proposed by Resource Training and Solutions. Motion carries 6-0 L. M/S Mavencamp/Liljequist Motion to approve the recommendation from the Technology Committee to fill technology requests for the 2018-2018 school year. Staff members submitted requests for technology, which were rated by members of the Technology Committee. The goal was to invest about $15,000 in these requests. A Chromebook cart was requested by four different high school classrooms. After talking to the four teachers who made the requests, this was consolidated into a single request for Chromebooks to be shared. This received the best rating by the Technology Committee. The second best rating was a tie between a sound system for the kindergarten and a projector system for the elementary gym. The total of these three requests is $16,251. We budgeted $2,994 of the technology bond annually for miscellaneous needs, so the additional cost will be taken from that area. Motion carries 6-0
9. New Business A. M/S J. Paumen/Mavencamp Motion to renew our membership in Schools for Equity in Education for the 2018-2019 school year at a cost of $2,133.05. Motion carries 6-0 B.M/S C. Paumen/Liljequist Motion to renew our food service contract with A’viands for the 2018- 2019 school year. Motion carries 6- 0 C. M/S J. Paumen/Thomas Motion to direct the district office to pay all bills through the end of fiscal year 2018 to be formally approved by the Maple Lake School Board at its July meeting. Motion carries 6- 0
10. Representative Reports A. District Leadership Team- Thomas said they discussed tuition assistance program for college level coursework instructors, technology requests and the Q Comp annual report. Next meeting is August 29. B.Meeker and Wright Special Education Cooperative-Thomas reported they talked about making salaries more competitive. C. Minnesota High School League-Paumen reported that they passed a basketball restricted arc rule, so we will need new lines under baskets. The 35-second shot clock for basketball was not approved. Neumann said wrestling moving from 14 weights to 12 weights was not approved. D.Safe Schools Committee- The next meeting is at 1:00 pm on August 15 at River City Extreme in Monticello. E.Elementary School-Sawatzke reported that the end of the year was busy with kindergarten and 6th grade graduations. They have filled a number of vacancies. Summer Academy will be held for 4 weeks beginning on June 18. F.High School-Hansen reported that over $35,000 was awarded in local scholarships. 76 seniors walked for graduation. He is working on scheduling. Post Test Editing is complete. The end of the year was filled with many exciting moments for our athletes with multiple state appearances and softball winning the state championship. Baseball is also going to state.
11. Committee Reports-None
12. Set Meeting Dates- Redemske notified board members of MSBA’s Summer Seminar scheduled for August 6.
13. Other Business A. Thank-You Notes B. Upcoming Meetings: 1. Schools for Equity in Education at 9:30 a.m. on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 in Kimball 2. MAWSECO Board Meeting at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 in Howard Lake 3. Wright Tech Center Board Meeting at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, July 3, 2018 in Buffalo 4. Regular School Board Meeting in July at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, July 9, 2018 in the Board Room C. Miscellaneous Information: 1. Chamber of Commerce Meeting at 12:00 p.m. on Wednesday, July 11, 2018
14.M/S C. Paumen/Mavencamp Motion to adjourn at 8:09 p.m. Motion carries 6-0. Respectfully Submitted, Shelley McAlpine Maureen Donohue_